Rick Collins and Jay Manfre Address the NYBSA
– Rick and Jay Address Legal and Regulatory Issues Surrounding Dietary Supplements at Upcoming “Sports, Drugs and Rock & Roll” Panel Presentation –
Rick Collins and Jay Manfre addressed today’s most critical issues surrounding dietary supplements, sports and the law at “Sports, Drugs, and Rock & Roll” — a New York State Bar Association panel presentation held on October 18th. The event, which was co-sponsored by the Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law and the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Law Sections, featured two panel presentations addressing a number of issues surrounding sports, entertainment and the law, and is approved for up to 3.0 MCLE Credits in Professional Practice.
Rick and Jay were part of the first of the two panel discussions, which addressed the intersection of sports and drug laws, discussing the usage of legal and illegal substances to enhance athletic performance, as well as regulatory issues relating to drug approvals and dietary supplements. The session was moderated by Brian Malkin, Esq, of Arent Fox in Washington, DC and Chair of the NYSBA’s Food, Drug and Cosmetic Law Section, with other panelists for the session including Cameron Myler, Esq, CAS Arbitrator/NYU Professor and Adolpho Birch, Esq., SVP/Labor Policy & League Affairs, National Football League. The second panel of the event discussed the legal fallout in entertainment and sports from what has come to be known as the “Me Too” movement, and will be moderated by Eriq Gardner, Senior Editor at The Hollywood Reporter.
Rick and Jay will be provided legal insight into a number of timely issues surrounding dietary supplements and sports, with the following topics being addressed by the panel:
- Origins and purpose of anti-doping movement as it relates to performance enhancement
- How anti-doping provisions impact the Olympics v. professional sports
- Specific liability for use of specific substances – steroids/growth hormones for performance, CBD (& cannabis) for pain – dietary supplements – federal and state regulation
- Individual sports/performance enhancement use – controlled or illegal drug substances and impact of their use
- Russia’s doping scandal and impact on sports/Olympics
- WADA and World Anti-Doping Code – where it is heading now?
- How does drug use affect endorsements/sponsorships for athletes?
For more information about “Sports, Drugs, and Rock & Roll, visit http://www.nysba.org/store/events/registration.aspx?event=EASLFA18. Make sure to also check our Facebook page after the event for photos and additional information from the panel discussion about these important issues. In addition, for any questions about dietary supplements and the law, or you would like to talk to us about legal guidelines surrounding performance enhancing drugs and sports, call us at 516-294-0300, or email us at email@example.com.